Project Description/Scope of Work
Bridge screening is required to reduce the hazard of electrocuting people crossing the newly electrified railway on the over-bridges and footbridges.
The scope includes delivery, transport to sites and installation of bridge screens to structures. Also included is the fabrication of screen brackets and extraneous metal work and bonding. This work forms part of the Auckland Electrification Project (AEP) due for completion at the end of the year 2015.
Two types of screen have been developed:
1. Horizontal screens of glass reinforced plastic (GRP; commonly known as fibreglass) – the preferred solution;
2. Vertical screens of GRP, steel with acrylic vision panels or steel only – for locations where horizontal screens provide inadequate protection, typically staircases and ramps providing access to stations.
The AEP will provide a 25 kV overhead traction system bounded by Papakura in the south, Swanson in the west and Britomart in central Auckland. The project excludes train stabling and maintenance facilities at Quay Park and Wiri (EMU Depot).
Project challenges to date:
• Logistical challenges with 74 independent sites covering over 60km of rail.
• Scope change from 63 bridges to 74 bridges for screens and Earthing and Bonding (E&B).
• Designer change after 3 months into contract.
• Alternate designs – meaning we are now working collaboratively with client and designers almost in a Design & Build environment.
• Client budget issues coupled with unidentified additional scope with increasingly tighter deadlines.
Positive changes made to project:
• Identifying designer unconstructable and work with JV-Rail of changes before committing to onsite.
• Working directly with client program milestones.
• Working closely with client to complete project on time with extra bridges add into the original scope of work.
• Site access – working on the same critical path work areas as the rest of AEP contractors which creates a bottle neck for rail corridor access.
Client: Fulton Hogan John Holland Joint Venture (JV-Rail)
Site Management: Kelvin Louie
Contract Type: Construct Only
Start: November 2012
Finish: August 2013